- Full-time day programs
- Apprenticeship programs
- Continuing and distance education courses
- When to expect your refund
- Student indebtedness policy
Are you eligible to receive a refund?
Dates are critical in determining whether you will receive a fees refund and how much you will get back. Please read the information below to determine your eligibility.
Refund of tuition fees
The following refund procedure applies for students withdrawing from a program:
- If you cancel prior to the program's start date, you will receive a full tuition refund excluding the non-refundable tuition deposit. You must provide the Office of the Registrar with a cancellation notice (in writing or verbally) before the first day of class.
Note: The tuition deposit is only applicable to new students starting first semester.
- If you cancel on the first day of classes and before the end of the add/drop period for the applicable semester (e.g. fall, winter, or spring), you will receive a 50% tuition refund, excluding the ancillary fees and non-refundable tuition deposit. You must provide the Office of the Registrar with a cancellation notice (in writing or verbally) within this time frame.
- If you withdraw after the add/drop period, you will not receive a refund unless there are extenuating circumstances, agreed on by the Registrar or designate. You must complete a Program Withdrawal form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. If there are extenuating circumstances, make sure you include a letter indicating the reason for your withdrawal and any supporting documents, such as a doctor's note.
Any student expelled from SAIT for any reason is not eligible for a refund.
Students who withdraw before completing their program will not receive a SAITSA refund for any academic term fully or partially completed.
The date for the Add/Drop period is based on the term length. Please see below for the period length for your course.
|Term length||Add/Drop period|
|13 or more weeks||Second Friday from program term start date|
|8-12 weeks||First Friday from program term start date|
|2-7 weeks||Two (2) days from program term start date|
|Less than two weeks||There is no add/drop period|
Cancelling your registration
You will be eligible for a refund if you cancel at least five business days prior to the class start date. All cancellations are subject to a $50 administrative fee.
To request a refund, contact the Office of the Registrar.
To cancel your registration and be eligible for a refund, the Office of the Registrar must receive notice.
Cancellations may be submitted by email, mail, fax, by phone or in person. In all cases, there will be a minimum $50 administrative fee, plus any applicable service costs.
For Continuing Education courses
For courses of 18 hours or longer, notice is required no later than 4 p.m. prior to the second scheduled class.
For seminars, short courses or sport camps (less than 18 hours total, or five or fewer consecutive days), notice is required three full business days prior to the class starting.
For Distance Education and eCampusAlberta courses
Notice of course cancellation must be received by the Office of the Registrar before 25 per cent of the original course time has elapsed in order for a student to receive a tuition refund.
SAIT will retain the minimum administration fee of $50, plus the shipping and handling fee charged on your order.
- Please refer to the course package you received for information on whether or not you are eligible for a refund on unused materials. If you are, please return your materials to the Distance Education Office, Room NN204. Do not return materials to the Office of the Registrar.
Students in the Canadian Association of Petroleum Production Accountants (CAPPA) computer-based training courses are not eligible for refunds.
For the Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) program, notice of cancellation is required 10 full business days prior to the course start date. Administration fees and course materials are non-refundable.
Refunds can be processed in person at the Finance Cashier's office in MC201. You must present:
- Valid picture ID
- Student ID number and name
Refunds can be requested via email at email@example.com. The email must include:
- Explanation of the request
- Full name
- Student ID number
Refunds take up to six weeks to process.
Amounts paid by VISA or MasterCard are refunded to the card originally used to make payment, unless the card is expired, payment was made before April 2016, or payment was made more than 18 months prior to the refund.
Refunds to international accounts are made via wire transfer.
All other refunds are issued by cheque or Interac.
Students are responsible for updating their address with the Office of the Registrar.
Sponsored Students refunds will be issued directly to the sponsor.
Any student suspended or expelled from SAIT for any reason, is not eligible for a refund.
A student shall be considered indebted to SAIT when monies for fees, or any form of material or service, have not been paid to the Institute or when library books or equipment of any kind have not been returned.
Indebtedness to the Institute will result in:
- Cancellation of registration
- Inability to register in further programs and courses
- Withholding of student’s transcript and credential
- Withholding of student loan funding
- Withholding of any refunds; including SAIT Students’ Association fee refund
SAIT may employ the services of a public collection agent to recover overdue amounts.